Search the Site
Technical Tuesday - May 1, 2018
Technical Tuesday Update
Volume 2, Issue 14
May 1, 2018
Download Full Report here
- Not much has changed for the U.S. indices as we see more failing rallies than not. As you will see in the following pages, the S&P 500, Nasdaq Comp., MDY and Russell 2000 have these reversals in place and we expect more weakness from here. The Dow Utilities have rallied as expected and into a zone of resistance. We believe the big picture for the SMH is bearish and the XLK has also reversed from a tactical area based on the daily chart, but here too, this looks ominous for more weakness and we would be trimming names in two sectors.
- The CAC has been a surprise with recent strength bringing the index to the January highs. We will be monitoring this area for a potential reversal as we had in 2015, or a breakout. The DAX and Spain’s IBEX are in zones of resistance. Italy’s MIB remains the strongest market as it hovers around the highs of 2015.
- Japan remains very firm and we see near-term strength. China’s Shanghai Composite remains in a very vulnerable condition and we would be a seller.
- The Ibovespa remains in a sideways range and appears to be distributing under its MFU-3 target of 88515. We would be trimming here.
- The intermediate-term trend for Crude Oil remains favorable, but we have a tactical trade for those with a short-term time frame. Gold has weakened into an area of support that needs to hold.
- The U.S. Dollar has rallied above it’s intermediate-term down channel and we see short-term strength to the 93.65 area. The GBP is testing important support right here and the EURO is now testing its 40-wk. avg.